MVAblur.jpgMotor Vehicle Collisions

How to Report a Collision to Police

If you were involved in a Motor Vehicle Collision  and have not yet spoken to the police, please follow the below link to learn about your reporting options:

Click here to learn about reporting a Motor Vehicle Collision


Duty of person in charge of vehicle in case of collision

 200.  (1)  Where a collision occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the collision shall,

                  (a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the collision;

                  (b) render all possible assistance; and

                  (c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, driver’s licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 200 (1); 1997, c. 12, s. 16.


When to report a collision to the police

Under the law, in short, you must report a collison  to the police forthwith when:

  •    there is an injury involved; or

  •    the total damage to all vehicles exceeds $1,000.00; or

  •    any highway property is damaged (signs, poles etc).


Duty to report collision

199.  (1)  Every person in charge of a motor vehicle or street car who is directly or indirectly involved in a collision shall, if the collision results in personal injuries or in damage to property apparently exceeding an amount prescribed by regulation, report the collision forthwith to the nearest police officer and furnish him or her with the information concerning the collision  as may be required by the officer under subsection (3). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 199 (1); 2002, c. 17, Sched. F, Table.


Notification of damage to trees, fences, etc.

201.  Every person who, as a result of a collision or otherwise, operates or drives a vehicle or leads, rides or drives an animal upon a highway and thereby damages any shrub, tree, pole, light, sign, sod or other property on the highway or a fence bordering the highway shall forthwith report the damage to a police officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 201.


How to report a collision

When medical or rescue assistance is required, or when an involved vehicle leaves the scene or when in doubt, dial 911.

When it is not an emergency situation you must contact the Windsor Police Service “Non-Emergency Number” at 519-258-6111. 

The call-taker will ask several questions to determine the appropriate police or emergency response.

You may be asked to attend the Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) to report your collision.

Officer may direct person to report collision at another location


(1.1) If, on reporting the collision to the nearest police officer under subsection (1), the person is directed by the officer to report the collision at a specified location, the person shall not furnish the officer described in subsection (1) with the information concerning the collision but shall forthwith attend at the specified location and report the collision there to a police officer and furnish him or her with the information concerning the collision as may be required by the officer under subsection (3).


The Collision Reporting Centre (CRC)

The Collision Reporting Centre (CRC) is a facility created to assist motorists in reporting motor vehicle collisions within the City of Windsor while keeping uniformed police officers on the street available for other calls for service.

Click here for more information on the Collision Reporting Centre.